Indiana Gov Mike Pence has broken his silence about his running mate's 2005 remarks about sexual assault.
"As a husband and father, I was offended by the words and actions described by Donald Trump in the 11-year-old video released yesterday," he said. "I do not condone his remarks and cannot defend them. I am grateful that he has expressed remorse and apologized to the American people. We pray for his family and look forward to the opportunity he has to show what is in his heart when he goes before the nation tomorrow night."
Mr Pence had earlier cancelled his appearance in Wisconsin amid the fallout from Friday release of the tape, which captured Mr Trump bragging about groping and kissing women without their consent.
The Indiana governor made his announcement after House Speaker Paul Ryan disinvited Mr Trump from the same event.
“I am sickened by what I heard today. Women are to be championed and revered, not objectified," Mr Ryan after the video emerged. “I hope Mr Trump treats this situation with the seriousness it deserves and works to demonstrate to the country that he has greater respect for women than this clip suggests."
NBC's Vaugh Hillyard, who is embedded in Mr Pence's press pool, said that reporters were removed from an Ohio restaurant where they were covering the vice presidential candidate as he became privy to the news.
On Friday, The Washington Post posted video of Mr Trump speaking with then-Access Hollywood's Billy Bush.
“I’ve gotta use some tic tacs, just in case I start kissing her,” Mr Trump says in the video, referring to Days of Our Lives actor Arianne Zucker. “You know I’m automatically attracted to beautiful — I just start kissing them. It’s like a magnet. Just kiss. I don’t even wait.” “And when you’re a star they let you do it,” he adds. “You can do anything… Grab 'em by the p****.”
Mr Trump issued a video apology early Saturday morning amid defection from Republican supporters. He declined to drop out of the presidential race.Reuse content