Video shows e-cigarette explode inside man’s pocket in Kentucky

The injured man was rushed to hospital with second-degree burns.

Click to follow
The Independent US

CCTV footage captured the moment when an e-cigarette exploded in a man’s trousers, leaving him with second-degree burns.

The incident took place at a petrol station convenience store in Owensboro, Kentucky.

The video shows Josh Hamilton ordering at the counter of the Quality Quick Convenient store before sparks and flames suddenly erupt from inside his trouser pocket.

Mr Hamilton pulls out the exploded e-cigarette from his pocket before escaping the convenience store.

The footage cuts to a store worker using a fire extinguisher to put out the remaining flames in Mr Hamilton’s trousers.

He was rushed to hospital and posted a picture of his second-degree burns on Facebook.

Mr Hamilton said: “It was an efest 18650. I'm really not trying to get any local business in trouble. But I definitely think something needs to be done about keeping these things safe and educating people on how dangerous they currently are.”