Bangkok bomb: CCTV images released of suspect

More than 20 people were killed in the 'worst' attack in Thai capital

Click to follow
The Independent Online

Thai authorities have released CCTV images of a man they wish to question in connection with the Bangkok bomb that killed at least 20 people.

The images, captured on CCTV near the Erawan Hindu Shrine shortly before the suspected pipe bomb detonated at around 7pm local time, appear to show a young man dressed in a yellow T-shirt carrying a rucksack.

No one has yet claimed responsibility for the attack, believed to have been aimed at disrupting Bangkok’s bustling tourist industry.

At a press conference, national police chief Somyot Pumpanmuang said the unidentified man could be a Thai national or foreigner.

"That man was carrying a backpack and walked past the scene at the time of the incident. But we need to look at the before and after CCTV footage to see if there is a link," Mr Somyot told reporters.

The release of the images - which have been widely shared online - follows remarks by the defence minister Prawit Wonsuwan. Earlier, he told reporters that authorities had a “much clearer” idea of the identity of the attacks but stressed he was unable to reveal more details.

Authorities are remaining tight-lipped on the possible identities behind the attack. Police said on Monday they had not ruled out any group, including elements opposed to the military government who took power in a coup last year.

Officers have noted that the attack has not matched previous tactics of southern Muslim insurgents who are fighting a low-level insurgency with authorities. They rarely attack outside their heartland.

Additional reporting by Reuters

Comments