Beijing attacks Dalai Lama over islands dispute
Beijing has accused the Dalai Lama of allying with Japanese right-wingers over a disputed archipelago.
Chinese media have said the Dalai Lama called the islands by their Japanese name at a news conference in Yokohama but an Associated Press review of a tape of the event showed he referred to them only as "the islands". The Chinese foreign ministry spokesman, Hong Lei, said the Dalai Lama's comments showed his "reactionary nature".
Tensions have run high since September, when the Japanese government nationalised some of the islands, known as Senkaku in Japanese and Diaoyu in Chinese, to prevent Tokyo's right-wing governor from buying them. Anti-Japanese protests broke out in Chinese cities.
- 1 Stoke City investigate 'religious abuse' after 'pig's head is found in Kenwyne Jones' locker'
- 2 Gove’s lesson: spare the comma, spoil the child
- 3 You thought Ryanair's attendants had it bad? Wait 'til you hear about their pilots
- 4 Join Ryanair! See the world! But we'll only pay you for nine months a year
- 5 It’s official: thanks to Stephen Hawking's Israel boycott, anti-Semitism is no more
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.
£30000 - £40000 per annum + BENS: Progressive Recruitment: Drupal Developer A ...
£45000 - £50000 per annum + bens: Progressive Recruitment: C# WEB DEVELOPER Le...
£240 - £260 per day: Progressive Recruitment: WPF Developer (C#, VB.Net) North...
£85 - £120 per day: Randstad Education Cheshire: KS2 teacher needed to do PPA ...