Burmese hardliner is Vice-President
The military has nominated a hardline former general as one of Burma's two Vice-Presidents.
Myint Swe, 61, was once head of intelligence and shared close links to the former leader of the military junta, Than Shwe.
The military has the right to name one Vice-President, and parliamentary approval of its nominee is a formality. Analysts said the move was unlikely to affect Burma's path to reform.
Myint Swe will replace Tin Aung Myint Oo, who stood down. Kenfrey Kiberenge
Have shock jocks gone too far after Rush Limbaugh called Sandra Fluke a slut?
The ‘Beverly Hills’ of Surrey pays more income tax than big cities of the North
British business: We need to stay in the European Union - or risk losing up to £92bn a year
World news in pictures
British father faces charges after confessing to slitting his two children's throats in Lyon flat
- 1 The ‘Beverly Hills’ of Surrey pays more income tax than big cities of the North
- 2 Gareth Bale agrees new £130,000-a-week Tottenham contract - but can leave next season for £50m
- 3 'Revenge porn' is no longer a niche activity which victimises only celebrities - the law must intervene
- 4 The moral case on tax avoidance is overwhelming - and we all know Google wants to do the right thing
- 5 Sam Wallace: The second coming of Jose Mourinho at Chelsea will be a reunion that can only end in tears
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.
£16000 - £18000 per annum + OTE: Connex Education: Connex are a reputable and ...
Negotiable: Progressive Recruitment: Our client based in North West England is...
£19000 - £24000 per annum + OTE - £30k+: Connex Education: Connex Education ar...
£19000 - £24000 per annum + OTE £30k+: Connex Education: Connex Education are ...