Genocide was for Cambodia's good, trial told
Wednesday 23 November 2011
Pol Pot's deputy, accused of orchestrating the Khmer Rouge's "killing fields" of the 1970s, said yesterday that he acted for the sake of Cambodia and to protect the country from invaders.
Nuon Chea responded to the horrors described by prosecutors at a UN-backed genocide trial with a political history of the Khmer Rouge and Cambodia, blaming much of the country's troubles on Vietnam – "thieves who wish to steal our land and wipe Cambodia off the face of the earth".
- 1 10 ways we damage our teeth – without realising
- 2 Fifa corruption arrests: Nike reported to be 'multinational sportswear company' at centre of bribery claims over Brazil shirt deal
- 3 Facebook Messenger sends 'creepily' precise location data, as revealed by Marauders Map Chrome extension
- 4 Bahar Mustafa: Goldsmiths Students' Union diversity officer to keep her job after vote of no confidence petition fails
- 5 Photo of wedding guest proposing to girlfriend in front of bride and groom goes viral
Hopes raised for treatment of severe amnesia after scientists retrieve lost memory – using light
Playboy model April Summers speaks out about being a victim of a voyeuristic sex crime
Poorest part of London is wealthier than the richest parts of Northern Ireland and Wales
British tourists complain that impoverished boat migrants are making holidays 'awkward' in Kos
How to live to be really old
EU referendum: David Cameron's rules are a 'democratic disgrace', says French-born Scottish politician set to be denied a vote
SNP fury as HS2 finds 'no business case' for taking fast train service to Scotland
Australian man punched in the face for defending Muslim women from abuse on train
A nation of inequality: How the UK is failing to feed its most vulnerable people
David Starkey 'tells Amal Clooney to shut up and stop over-promoting human rights'
EU referendum: David Cameron to deny EU migrants and under-18s the chance to vote
£16000 - £18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: One of the UK's leading Solar P...
£18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This organisation is changing the way at...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: A Digital Web Designer is required to join a f...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity to develop an ...