Kim Jong-il set to meet Hu Jintao
North Korean leader Kim Jong-il's secrecy-shrouded tour of China came to the capital yesterday for a likely summit with President Hu Jintao, as the North appeals for food aid and Beijing presses its communist ally to reform its ailing economy.
China is North Korea's most vital diplomatic and economic supporter and is desperate to prevent a collapse of Mr Kim's isolated regime, which is again struggling to feed its people following a bitter winter.
The trip comes as a US delegation visits North Korea to assess its food needs.
- 1 Man and woman arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to murder victim of Woolwich machete attack, named as Drummer Lee Rigby
- 2 'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Horrific attack brings terror to London’s streets
- 3 Grace Dent: I’m not sure how these people can avoid being called ‘bigots’. And the more ‘civilised’, the worse they are
- 4 Woolwich murder: They killed, then they performed - these men should be starved of our attention
- 5 Woolwich attack: The EDL will seek to exploit this evil crime for their own evil ends
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Nook is donating eReaders to volunteers at high-need schools and participating in exclusive events throughout the campaign.
Get the latest on The Evening Standard's campaign to get London's children reading.
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.