Nepal: Slum clearance leaves families homeless
A child stands on top of the rubble where his house used to be at a slum settlement in Kathmandu, near the bank of the Bagmati River, yesterday.
It was one of 250 illegally built homes that were demolished the day before. Around 1,000 people were made homeless and are now living in a nearby park.
The clearances were ordered by the High Power Committee for Development of Integrated Bagmati Civilisation, which was established to clean up the Bagmati River. It insists the squatters will be rehoused.
Have shock jocks gone too far after Rush Limbaugh called Sandra Fluke a slut?
Former Google exec says he has 100,000 emails showing how 'immoral' company avoids paying UK tax
British business: We need to stay in the European Union - or risk losing up to £92bn a year
World news in pictures
British father faces charges after confessing to slitting his two children's throats in Lyon flat
- 1 British business: We need to stay in the European Union - or risk losing up to £92bn a year
- 2 You thought Ryanair's attendants had it bad? Wait 'til you hear about their pilots
- 3 Sam Wallace: The second coming of Jose Mourinho at Chelsea will be a reunion that can only end in tears
- 4 Gay marriage: David Cameron takes on the 'wreckers' among Conservative MPs in key vote
- 5 It’s official: thanks to Stephen Hawking's Israel boycott, anti-Semitism is no more
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.
Negotiable: Randstad Education Chelmsford: Randstad Education is the market le...
£24000 - £28000 per annum: Randstad Education London: A leading Further Educat...
£500 - £680 per day: Orgtel: Quantitative Risk Analyst, Front Office/Risk Bank...
£18000 - £25500 per annum: Randstad Education Cambridge: Randstad Education ar...