New Nepalese leader elected at 17th attempt
Friday 04 February 2011
The Nepalese Parliament has elected Jhalanath Khanal, chairman of the ruling Communist Party of Nepal, as its new Prime Minister, seven months after the last government resigned amid sometimes violent protests.
Mr Khanal, 61, was elected in the 17th attempt to find a new prime minister after the Communist Party of Nepal (Maoist) withdrew its candidate to end the stalemate.
The Maoists – former rebels who laid down their arms – previously controlled the government after winning the most seats in 2008 elections. But in May last year they resigned over the implementation of the peace process that ended the decade-long insurgency.
No candidate was able to secure a majority in the previous 16 votes and the parties had been unable to agree on a coalition government.
- 1 'Cheeky' Nando's under fire for apparently coming onto a customer on Twitter
- 2 Saudi Arabia mosque bombing: Two volunteer security guards hailed as heroes for stopping Isis suicide bomber reaching worshippers
- 3 Playboy model April Summers speaks out about being a victim of revenge porn
- 4 There is something wrong but very right about this Bible illustration
- 5 iPhone 'effective power' text: how to be safe from iOS bug that lets people crash your phone
EU referendum: David Cameron's rules are a 'democratic disgrace', says French-born Scottish politician set to be denied a vote
British tourists complain that impoverished boat migrants are making holidays 'awkward' in Kos
A nation of inequality: How the UK is failing to feed its most vulnerable people
Australian man punched in the face for defending Muslim women from abuse on train
EU referendum: David Cameron to deny EU migrants and under-18s the chance to vote
David Starkey 'tells Amal Clooney to shut up and stop over-promoting human rights'
£16500 - £18500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: One of the leading Mercedes-Ben...
£27500 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£19500 - £23500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Experienced B2B Telemarketer wa...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This global company are looking for two Showro...