Pakistani liberals cheer as snooping TV host is sacked
Monday 30 January 2012
Pakistan's liberals have won the day after a private TV station fired a popular morning show host who sparked outrage by running around a park, trying to identify young couples who were unmarried, a taboo in this conservative Muslim country.
Pakistani liberals derided host Maya Khan's behaviour on Twitter and Facebook, comparing it to the kind of moral policing practiced by the Taliban, and started an online petition asking Samaa TV to end this "irresponsible programming" and apologise.
The company responded this weekend in a letter to reporters saying it had decided to fire Khan and her team and cancel her show because she refused to issue an unconditional apology.
Samaa TV's decision marked an unusual victory for Pakistan's beleaguered liberal minority, which has become increasingly marginalised.
- 1 Scottish referendum: So how about the English now being given a chance to split from England?
- 2 Friends 20th anniversary: Alison Jackson photographs reunited cast
- 3 London council removes 'unacceptable' Stamford Hill posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 4 The response to my Pizza Express review has been overwhelming, and taught me a lot about journalism
- 5 Free U2 album: How the most generous giveaway in music history turned into a PR disaster
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
Unpaid Voluntary Position : Reach Volunteering: Volunteer your expertise as Tr...
£68 - £73 per day + Competitive rates of pay based on experience: Randstad Edu...
£69 - £73 per day + Competitive London rates of pay: Randstad Education Group:...
£117 - £157 per day + Competitive London rates: Randstad Education Group: * Pr...