Philippine police kill 7 kidnappers and rescue victim
Saturday 11 July 2009
Philippine police killed seven members of a kidnap gang and rescued a captive unharmed less than 24 hours after his abduction near Manila, officials said today.
A special police anti-kidnapping unit killed three suspects in a raid on their hide-out late last night in Cabuyao township of Laguna province where the gang held 29-year-old businessman Jefferson Ching, said unit chief Isagani Nerez.
In a second clash early today, pursuing officers killed four more gang members who had escaped to Imus township in neighboring Cavite province, said Nerez, who heads the Police Anti-Crime and Emergency Response unit.
The kidnappers had seized Ching in another Cavite town on Friday. His family informed police who traced the kidnappers' hide-out from a call made to the family demanding 20 million pesos ($21,000) in ransom, said regional police commander Perfecto Palad.
Kidnap gangs plagued the Philippines in the 1990s, targeting mostly wealthy Chinese-Filipinos. Such crimes persist, but a tough police anti-kidnapping campaign, backed by sophisticated surveillance and better cooperation from victims' families, has led to a decline.
Simon Calder looks at communities fighting back against the poachers
Arsenal 1 Everton 1: Substitute equalises with six minutes to go
booksGeese, gorillas, grandads... and growing up
- 1 Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
- 2 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- 5 Japan cracks down on leaks after scandal of Fukushima nuclear power plant
- < Previous
- Next >
£80000 - £100000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Senior C++ De...
£25000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: C++ Server Dev...
£300 - £350 per day: Harrington Starr: Leading Electronic Trading Software Ven...
£23999 - £32001 per annum + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: An independent ac...