Protesters urge Nepal prime minister Baburam Bhattarai to stand down
Hundreds of supporters of opposition political parties have gathered
outside the main government offices in Nepal's capital to demand Prime
Minister Baburam Bhattarai step down.
The protesters today blocked the area around the complex in the heart of Kathmandu that houses the prime minister's office and the main government offices, chanting slogans against Mr Bhattarai.
Government officials were not able to reach their offices because of the protest.
Riot police kept close watch on the protesters, but there were no reports of violence.
Mr Bhattarai has been running a caretaker government since May, but the opposition parties want a new government with representation from all the major political parties to conduct elections scheduled for later this year.
Gay couple beaten in park urge MPs to moderate language on gay marriage
Strewth mate. Aussies wave goodbye to Britain as it becomes too pricey to stay
World news in pictures
Far-right French historian, 78-year-old Dominique Venner, commits suicide in Notre Dame in protest against gay marriage
Oklahoma tornado latest: Obama pledges support for 'as long as it takes' to rebuild the suburb of Moore
- 1 'He was lucky he didn't die' - George Michael fell out of speeding car onto M1 motorway, according to eye witness
- 2 Gay couple beaten in park urge MPs to moderate language on gay marriage
- 3 After woman sells virginity for $780,000, here are the results of our prostitution survey
- 4 Far-right French historian, 78-year-old Dominique Venner, commits suicide in Notre Dame in protest against gay marriage
- 5 'It was just like the movie Twister': Man survives Oklahoma tornado by taking refuge in horse stall
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.
Excellent Salary Package - £60K to £120K: Austen Lloyd: We have an exciting op...
£200 - £250 per day: Progressive Recruitment: Java Developer - Urgent Requirem...
£70000 - £95000 per annum + Bonus, flexible working hours, remote work: Progre...
£50000 - £56000 per annum + Benefits package, flexible working hours: Progress...