Australian man who lied about service got £440K
Wednesday 22 December 2010
A man aged 84 was jailed for four years in Australia for lying about being a prisoner of war in order to claim hundreds of thousands of dollars in pension payouts. But a Brisbane judge said Arthur Crane would be released after six months on a good behaviour bond.
Crane, who pleaded guilty to defrauding the Commonwealth, claimed he was captured and tortured by the Japanese during the Second World War, but had never served in the military. Before his lies were uncovered last year, Crane claimed nearly £440,000 in war pension and disability payments.
- 1 'Women should not laugh in public,' says Turkey's Deputy Prime Minister in morality speech
- 2 The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
- 3 Is Ebola coming to Britain? UK health officials issue warning to doctors as outbreak fears grow
- 4 Richard Dawkins says 'date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse' on Twitter
- 5 Danish TV reporter is all business up top, all party down below
The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
A day in the life of Vladimir Putin: The dictator in his labyrinth
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Boozy, ignorant, intolerant, but very polite – Britain as others see us
A new Russian revolution: The cracks are starting to appear in Putin’s Kremlin power bloc
- < Previous
- Next >
Competitive: The Green Recruitment Company: The Organisation: The Green Recrui...
£350 - £400 per annum + competitive: Orgtel: Project Manager (specializing in ...
£40000 - £50000 per annum + competitive: Progressive Recruitment: Embedded Sof...
£50000 - £65000 per annum + Benefits: Progressive Recruitment: Working for a m...