New Zealand oil spill 'worst maritime disaster'
Tuesday 11 October 2011
An oil spill from a container ship stuck on a reef off New Zealand's coast is the country's worst environmental maritime disaster, a government minister said today.
The Liberian-flagged Rena has been foundering since it ran aground on the Astrolabe Reef, about 14 miles (22km) from Tauranga Harbour last Wednesday.
Maritime New Zealand, which is managing the emergency response, said today that the ship shifted significantly overnight in rough conditions.
Environment Minister Nick Smith said the oil flow has increased fivefold since the initial days after the grounding and that up to 390 tons of heavy oil spilled from the hull today.
He told reporters that the accident "is New Zealand's most significant environmental maritime disaster".
- 1 Emma Watson on Jennifer Lawrence naked photo leak: 'Even worse than seeing women's privacy violated is reading the comments'
- 2 Saudis risk new Muslim division with proposal to move Mohamed’s tomb
- 3 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
- 4 Cee Lo Green: It is only rape if the victim is conscious
- 5 Katie Hopkins breaks down in tears over weight gain challenge: ‘I hate fat people for making me do this’
Rotherham child sex abuse scandal: Labour Home Office to be probed over what Tony Blair's government knew - and when
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Ashya King: Parents of five-year-old boy refused permission to visit him in hospital and denied bail at Spanish court
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
Ashya King: 'Cruel NHS has not given us the treatment we need', says father of five-year-old with brain tumour who fled to Spain
£30000 - £45000 per annum + benefits+bonus+package: Harrington Starr: Front-Of...
£700 per day: Harrington Starr: Quantitative Developer C++, Python, STL, R, PD...
£700 per day: Harrington Starr: Java/Calypso Developer Java, Calypso, J2EE, J...
£500 per day: Harrington Starr: SQL Developer SQL, C#, Stored Procedures, MDX...