No bodies found in Christchurch cathedral
Saturday 05 March 2011
Searchers today declared that no one had died in the rubble of Christchurch's cathedral - a rare piece of good news in the final days of a grim recovery operation following an earthquake that devastated New Zealand's second-largest city and killed at least 165 people.
Authorities had feared that as many as 22 people were inside the Christchurch Cathedral's stone bell tower when it was toppled by a magnitude 6.3 quake on 22 February.
Police Superintendent Sandra Manderson said urban search and rescue teams had completed their excavation of the area and confirmed that no one was trapped inside what had been a popular tourist attraction.
"Urban search and rescue (teams) have cleared the whole area ... and they've found no bodies," she told National Radio.
The Dean of Christchurch Rev Peter Beck has been advised and was "absolutely elated", she said.
Manderson said she hoped that the surprise good news would bring down the estimated death toll of the disaster from as high as 240 to around 220. She said she was investigating what the estimate of 22 people in the tower had been based on.
She also announced that the confirmed death toll had risen to 165 after two bodies were recovered yesterday from one of the worst-hit structures, the Canterbury Television building.
Beck said that from the time the earthquake devastated Christchurch's city centre on a busy weekday afternoon, he suspected that there would be multiple casualties under the ruins of the 130-year-old Anglican tower.
"Straight after the quake, a young woman was in tears and I gave her a big hug. She was telling me that she had just rushed out of the tower just before the quake and there were people behind her," Beck said today.
"Then you get other anecdotal stories from people saying they saw people in the viewing platform (of the tower), so that is the kind of stuff that was going around," he said.
Authorities officially ended the search and rescue phase of the recovery operation in Christchurch on Thursday, saying there was no chance that anyone else would be pulled alive from the debris of the quake that demolished or irreparably damaged one-third of the buildings in the city centre. Police have said the search for bodies will not continue much longer.
Just 26 of the 165 bodies have been publicly identified. Authorities say the identification process is slow and painstaking because of the extreme nature of the injuries caused to some of those caught in collapsing buildings.
An estimated 70,000 Christchurch residents - one-fifth of the 350,000 population - have left the city since the quake, which cut power, water and sewage systems for large parts of the city. Most were expected to return as the city recovers.
- 1 Cyclist who knocked down three-year-old girl says his life has been 'destroyed'
- 2 A politically correct lefty goes to see Top Gear live – you'll probably believe what happened next
- 4 Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
SNP fury as HS2 finds 'no business case' for taking fast train service to Scotland
EU referendum: David Cameron to deny EU migrants and under-18s the chance to vote
A nation of inequality: How the UK is failing to feed its most vulnerable people
£40-50K: Guru Careers: We are seeking an experienced Software / C# Developer w...
£35 - 40k + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Software Developer (JavaS...
£18000 - £23000 per annum + Commission: SThree: As a Trainee Recruitment Consu...