Thousands of sheep in Australia die from ‘banging their heads till they crack open’ after eating poisonous plant
Vets describe situation ‘like dealing with a thousand heroin addicts’
Thousands of sheep in Australia are believed to have died after eating a poisonous plant that makes them “bash their heads on posts and rocks until they crack open”.
The usually-rare toxic plant, misleadingly named the “Darling pea”, has spread rapidly in the aftermath of bushfires in New South Wales – which themselves caused devastation for sheep farmers in the area.
Now vets have said that many of the animals which survived the fires face a new and highly addictive threat.
North West Local Land Services regional veterinarian Bob McKinnon told the Sydney Morning Herald that once sheep started eating the plant they exhibit behaviour “similar to that of a drunk”.
“They lose weight to start with and then get staggery, the progression gets worse, they get unco-ordinated and depressed, they don't know where their feet are.”
He said that “staring eyes”, “head pressing” and “muscle tremors” were other symptoms, until eventually the animals “just go to a post and bang their head on it till they crack their heads open”.
The task of bringing in herds that would normally take six hours instead takes “days”, Mr McKinnon said. “It’s like dealing with a thousand heroin addicts.”
Just one farming family in Coonabarabran said they had lost 800 sheep to the deadly plant. Stephen and Louise Knight said the animals were missing when they counted up the stock at shearing time.
“It was just devastating they weren't there when we went to get them.
“The fire was a distressing thing to have happen, we lost so many stock, fences, pasture - and then for it to come back with a terrible noxious plant like this, it's awful and very distressing.”
The plant, from the Swainsona family of desert peas native to Australia, has toxins which build up when sheep graze on it for extended periods. It attacks an enzyme involved in metabolism, ultimately crippling the animal’s central nervous system.
There is no cure, Mr McKinnon said, other than to “get the animals off it in time”. “But if they've been on it too long the damage has been done and it doesn't repair to where it should be,” he said.
- 3 Russian girl takes her own life after parents find pornography on her computer
- 4 Ball pool for adults opens in London
- 5 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
Kim Kardashian on Bruce Jenner's 'story': 'We support him no matter what, and I think when the time is right, he'll talk'
Russian girl takes her own life after parents find pornography on her computer
Ball pool for adults opens in London
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
Have we reached 'peak food'? Shortages loom as global production rates slow
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures
£40000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A reputable organisation within the leisure i...
£90 - £140 per day: Tradewind Recruitment: I am currently working in partnersh...
£96000 - £200000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Looking for a better earning p...
£32000 - £36000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A rapidly expanding company in ...