Blue murder in the cathedral
Sunday 16 April 1995
THE BATTLE of the Shouting Women of Pennsylvania continues. Last week we told the tale of Joan Sudwoj and Cynthia Balconi, who splashed holy water about and shouted the Rosary so loudly that baptisms and Mass were disrupted, sermons and choir drowned out and their Greensburg parish generally put in an uproar.
On Tuesday, the parish succeeded in a court action to have them banned. The pair then smoothly moved operations to the city's Blessed Sacrament Cathedral, where Sudwoj in particular bellowed out the mysteries of the Rosary so vehemently that confessions had to be shouted to be heard. The cathedral too then got the women banned, and when they arrived for Good Friday services, armed deputies blocked the doors and then frog-marched them off to the police station.
I have a feeling that both church and state have underestimated the spirit of these strong-minded women. We hope yet to hear the nasal twang of outer Pittsburgh ring out through the halls of the Lateran.
- 1 Kylie Jenner challenge: Bizarre lip suction device inspired by Kardashian sister goes viral
- 2 Rarest Beanie Baby bought for just £10 at car boot sale could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 3 Katie Hopkins and The Sun editor are reported to police for incitement to racial hatred following migrant boat column
- 4 Bruce Forsyth backs assisted dying campaign: 'If I had Alzheimer's or dementia I would do something about it'
- 5 Giorgio Armani criticises the way some gay men dress saying 'a man has to be a man'
If I’m being racially abused I don’t need a stranger with a saviour complex to rescue me
The only black face in the Ukip manifesto is on the page about overseas aid
Ukip is the only main political party to not address LGBT rights in its manifesto
Food banks: One million Britons will soon be using them, according to Trussell Trust
Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling
BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate
£14000 - £18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An Office Administrator is requ...
£12000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Due to expansion and growth of ...
£40000 - £50000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Senior PHP Developer position with a...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: An Operations Leader is required to join a lea...