Clinton to meet China's President
Friday 01 October 1993
'Yes, President Clinton and their president will meet at that event,' Mr Christopher said, about a heads of state meeting on 20 November in connection with a meeting of the Asian Pacific Economic Co-operation organisation. He made his comments after talks with the Chinese Foreign Minister, Qian Qichen.
Mr Christopher admitted US-Chinese ties were going through a difficult period, and said the talks with Mr Qian had produced no change of position on the issue of non-proliferation. He expressed the hope China would not resume nuclear testing.
But he said the two sides had agreed on new steps to try to improve relations including a visit to China on 10 to 12 October of Assistant Secretary of State John Shattuck for the first talks with Peking on human rights in more than a year.
In pictures: Saturn images from Cassini probe as it prepares to turn lens towards Earth
New banker bonus boom: Payouts leapt 64% to new record when Chancellor George Osborne cut top-rate tax to 45p in April
'There's something quite unpleasant going on': Nigel Farage confronted for second time on visit to Scotland ahead of Donside by-election
Poor children are being let down by schools, warns Ofsted
World news in pictures
- 1 ‘Hello, NME? I’d like to complain about your Tom Odell review. Why? I’m his dad’
- 2 Richard Nieuwenhuizen death: Six teenagers and 50-year-old father convicted of manslaughter in shocking case of referee killed over a game of football
- 3 Exclusive: Newcastle United's star talent-spotter Graham Carr on brink as Joe Kinnear sparks walkout at St James' Park
- 4 Vast methane 'plumes' seen in Arctic ocean as sea ice retreats
- 5 From charmer to bully: My encounter with Charles Saatchi
TBC: Capital Refrigeration Services Ltd: Capital Refrigeration Services requir...
£90 - £120 per day: Randstad Education Preston: We are currently recruiting fo...
£90 - £120 per day: Randstad Education Preston: . Blackpool
£5520 - £31200 per annum: Randstad Education London: If you are then please ap...