Turkish government 'blocks Twitter and Facebook' as part of alleged media ban following Ankara blast

The alleged move comes just a week after the state take-over of the Zaman newspaper

The Turkish authorities have reportedly imposed media restrictions and residents are describing limited access to social media in the aftermath of an explosion in the capital, Ankara.

Some broadcast media were reportedly subject to a ban on covering aspects of the explosion, suspected to be a car bomb.

Analysts also said that access to social media was "extremely slow or blocked after the explosion."

The Independent has also been in contact with sources in Turkey who have confirmed that this is the case.

The state-run TRT station, which broadcasts internationally, is the only TV network which can broadcast images of the bombing, a source inside TRT told the Independent.

A court order was allegedly given to restrict social media access after images of the bombing were shared online.

A photo of the alleged order has been circulated online:

Commentators have said that it would still be possible for people in Turkey to communicate using VPNs.

Abdullah Bozkurt is a journalist with Today's Zaman, sister newspaper of Zaman, which was recently taken over by the state.

Other experts appeared to backup the claims.

Officials say at least 27 people have been killed and scores more wounded after a huge explosion near busy bus stops in the Turkish capital on Sunday evening.

Reports from Turkey suggest a car bomb was detonated near Ankara's main square in the Kizilay neighbourhood, though this has not been confirmed.

The Ankara governor's office said around 75 other people had been injured in the incident, which comes just a few weeks a bomb attack on a military convoy in the city killed 28.

Comments