Austria: 'Neo-Nazi' ball has its last waltz with Unesco
Friday 20 January 2012
The Viennese Ball, regarded as a highlight of Vienna's social calendar, has been struck off a Unesco list of celebrated Austrian traditions after being linked with Neo-Nazi groups.
For the first two months of each year, the Austrian capital's series of Viennese balls are the place for eligible bachelors to be seen waltzing with glamorous debutants. However, anti-fascist campaigners claim one of those listed, the WKR Ball, attracts Neo-Nazis from Austria and Germany. Organisers reject the links, but campaigners picket the event every year.
Unesco said the inclusion of the WKR Ball was "a major mistake" and it has now removed the genre from the list. The Viennese Ball was added to the Unesco list of "intangible cultural heritage traditions" in 2010.
- 1 Forget 'The Dress': Here are five of the biggest news stories you might have missed
- 2 The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
- 3 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 4 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 5 Saudi Muslim cleric claims the Earth is 'stationary' and the sun rotates around it
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
'Cash for access' scandal: Sir Malcolm Rifkind says 'unrealistic' for MPs to live on £67,000 salary
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
Russia's roadmap for annexing eastern Ukraine 'leaked from Vladimir Putin's office'
£9 per hour: Recruitment Genius: This role is based within a small family run ...
£28000 - £32000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This Design and marketing agenc...
£46000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This property investment firm are lookin...
£18000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company specialises provid...