Costa captain not wearing glasses, says first officer
The captain of the wrecked Costa Concordia cruise liner was not wearing his glasses on the evening of the accident and asked his first officer to check the radar for him, the officer's lawyer said yesterday at a hearing held in the Tuscan city of Grosseto.
The liner capsized off the Tuscan island of Giglio after hitting a rock on 13 January, killing at least 25 people, with seven still unaccounted for.
Prosecutors have accused Captain Francesco Schettino of causing the disaster by bringing the ship too close to shore. The ship's first officer, Ciro Ambrosio, and seven other officers and executives are also under investigation.
Mr Schettino's lawyer did not specifically address the latest accusations levelled by the first officer against the captain.
Swedish stars ask fans for £195 pledges on crowd-funding website
Nelson Mandela memorial sign language interpreter was a 'fake'
The ten coldest places on Earth
Sir Ian McKellen hits back at Damian Lewis' 'fruity actor' claims
Kenyan politician Mike Sonko left red-faced after photoshopping himself next to Nelson Mandela
Nelson Mandela memorial: Cheers, jeers and a masterclass from Barack Obama that stole the show
- 1 Nelson Mandela memorial sign language interpreter was a 'fake'
- 2 It’s shameful that our universities have accepted gender segregation under pressure from the most oppressive religious fanatics
- 3 Sir Ian McKellen hits back at Damian Lewis' 'fruity actor' claims
- 4 Kenyan politician Mike Sonko left red-faced after photoshopping himself next to Nelson Mandela
- 5 Selfie at funeral: Cameron squeezes in on Obama snap at Mandela memorial
- < Previous
- Next >
£34999 - £44001 per annum + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: A Top 10 Accounta...
£60000 - £80000 per annum + benefits + bonus: Harrington Starr: Product Specia...
£50000 - £60000 per annum + benefits + bonus: Harrington Starr: Business Analy...
£23500 per annum: Harrington Starr: Graduate Software Support Analyst (Compute...