Dutch boy, 15, jailed for 'Facebook slaying'
Monday 03 September 2012
A Dutch court has convicted a 15-year-old boy of murdering a teenage girl after she argued with another girl on a social networking site - a case that shocked the Netherlands because of the age of the killer and his victim.
Arnhem District Court sentenced the youth, identified only as Jinhua K, to one year in prison - the maximum punishment for a minor.
Judges also ordered him to undergo psychiatric treatment at a juvenile detention centre for three years.
Judges say K stabbed to death 15-year-old Joyce Hau at her home on January 14 and then attempted to kill her father.
Prosecutors have charged the girl Hau allegedly argued with and another boy with arranging for K to carry out the stabbing.
Dutch media dubbed the case the "Facebook slaying."
- 1 Crystal meth addict 'gouged out his eyes and ate them' while high on drug, Australian MP claims
- 2 As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
- 3 The ten most unequal developed countries in the world
- 4 Saudi Arabia 'seeking to head United Nations Human Rights Council'
- 5 Toddler throws a tantrum at the White House – in front of Barack Obama
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
Report finds that Britain's wages are the most unequal in Europe
Almost a third of school pupils believe 'Muslims are taking over our country', study claims
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
Gay marriage 'Bert and Ernie' cake bakery found guilty of discrimination in Northern Ireland
£40-50K: Guru Careers: We are seeking an experienced Software / C# Developer w...
£35 - 40k + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Software Developer (JavaS...
£18000 - £23000 per annum + Commission: SThree: As a Trainee Recruitment Consu...