Greek far-right politician Ilias Kasidiaris sues the woman he assaulted
Tuesday 12 June 2012
The Greek far-right politician who caused an uproar last week by slapping one female politician on live television and throwing a glass of water at another launched a lawsuit against the women and the channel that hosted the show.
Ilias Kasidiaris, 31, of the Golden Dawn Party, avoided an arrest warrant for the confrontation last Thursday, resurfacing on Sunday after the warrant had expired. He appeared at an Athens court to submit lawsuits against the Communist Party candidate Liana Kanelli and the leftist Syriza party's Rena Dourou on charges of unprovoked insults and against Antenna television for illegal detention.
Authorities had issued an arrest warrant for Mr Kasidiaris after he threw water over Ms Dourou and then slapped Ms Kanelli three times across the face. Under Greek law, an arrest warrant for a misdemeanour must be carried out by midnight the day after the act has occurred, in which case a trial is immediate. If the suspect is not apprehended within that time, the case turns into a judicial procedure in which a trial date is set, often for several months or even years later. No court date has yet been set for Mr Kasidiaris. He argues that he was provoked by insults during the television show and that Ms Kanelli, 58, hit him first with a newspaper.
Stand by for another DECADE of wet summers, say Met Office meteorologists
'Jail reckless bankers': Report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
World news in pictures
Google challenges US surveillance gagging order
- 1 Diary of Second World War German teenager reveals young lives untroubled by Nazi Holocaust in wartime Berlin
- 2 'Jail reckless bankers': Report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 3 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 4 Uri Geller psychic spy? The spoon-bender's secret life as a Mossad and CIA agent revealed
- 5 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
£33000 - £35000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£110 - £135 per day: Randstad Education Chelmsford: Teaching opportunites in t...
£21000 - £32000 per annum: Randstad Education Chelmsford: Primary Teaching opp...
£21000 - £32000 per annum: Randstad Education Chelmsford: Primary School teach...