'I am going to blow up the Kremlin': Encoded letter from Napoleon sold at auction
Sunday 02 December 2012
A letter sent in 1812 by Napoleon Bonaparte vowing to blow up the Kremlin has sold at auction for more than 10 times its estimated pre-sale price.
The Museum of Letters and Manuscripts in Paris bought the document, in secret code, for €187,500 (£197,000). The pre-sale estimate was €15,000. Auctioneers said the letter, written to the French Foreign Minister Hugues-Bernard Maret, revealed the strains on Napoleon of his calamitous Russian invasion. One line said: "At three o'clock in the morning, on the 22nd I am going to blow up the Kremlin." He carried out his threat.
- 1 Asteroid narrowly scrapes past Earth: how to watch the closest space rock for decades as it flies by
- 2 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 3 The enemy within: People who hear voices in their heads are being encouraged to talk back
- 4 British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
- 5 Watch Richard Dawkins read his own hatemail: 'I hope you do get sodomised by satanic monkeys in hell'
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
Islamic history is full of free thinkers - but recent attempts to suppress critical thought are verging on the absurd
30,000 reasons why the rhetoric on immigrants claiming benefits can stop now
£38000 - £42000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: One of the UK's best performing...
£35000 - £43000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Our award-winning client is one...
£15000 - £21000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This leading provider of Atlas ...
£18000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Opportunity to join established...