Rabbis urge German Jews to continue circumcisions despite law change
Thursday 12 July 2012
The Conference of European Rabbis is calling on Germany's Jewish community to continue circumcising baby boys, despite fears after a regional court ruled the practice amounted to bodily harm.
Conference president Pinchas Goldschmidt told reporters today, following an emergency meeting of some 40 rabbis in the German capital, that they had been assured that the ruling set no national precedent and that the government was looking into possible changes to the law to continue to clarify the issue.
Calling circumcision "the foundation" of the Jewish faith, Goldschmidt said he hoped for such changes as soon as possible, saying "for us the deadline is not tomorrow, but yesterday."
In the meantime, however, he says, "we say to the Jewish community ... keep performing the brit milah, and have no fear."
Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
Nelson Mandela: 11 inspirational quotes to live your life by
Nelson Mandela: From 'terrorist' to tea with the Queen
UK weather: People urged to remain vigilant as high tides and strong winds continue through the night
Nelson Mandela death: his life in pictures
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 4 Australian ultra-nationalist politician Stephanie Banister in car crash immigration TV interview
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >
£31000 - £43000 per annum: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: This se...
£27000 - £45000 per annum: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: Lambeth...
£22000 - £38000 per annum: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: This se...
£22000 - £37000 per annum: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: This se...