Spanish unemployment total rises to 4.75 million
Tuesday 03 April 2012
Spain's unemployment benefit claimant total rose by nearly 39,000 last month to more than 4.75 million.
March's increase in the number of people filing for unemployment benefits, reported today, was the eighth straight monthly increase. The total number filing for benefits is up nearly 10% on a year ago.
The overall unemployment rate is released separately and quarterly. It stood at 22.9% at the end of last year, with nearly 5.3 million jobless.
This is higher than the benefits number because some unemployed people's unemployment aid has run out.
Spain's economy is shrinking and the government is forecasting a 1.7% contraction this year.
And why are 'southern' ways of speaking spreading north?
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 4 Australian ultra-nationalist politician Stephanie Banister in car crash immigration TV interview
- 5 From 'terrorist' to tea with the Queen
- < Previous
- Next >
£55000 - £70000 per annum: Pro-Recruitment Group: A well-known and renowned in...
up to £32,000 with an OTE of £50,000: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green...
£30000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitment Company...
£16 - £18 per hour: Morgan Hunt: The successful candidate will be a time serve...