The final death toll from the Turkey coal mine explosion is expected to reach 300, officials have admitted the main rescue chamber had been “disassembled” and miners are still trapped underground, but officials are continuing to deny any negligence over the country's worst mining disaster in history.
Some 284 miners are known to have died in the Soma mine and Energy Minister Taner Yildiz has announced he believes there are “no more than 18” still trapped underground.
In a news conference today, the mine owners defended their response to the disaster and denied all claims of negligence, while conceding they still had no idea how the tragedy occurred.
Officials at the conference said there was no working refuge chamber in the mine, but stressed there had been an escape route close to ground level, giving workers an exit to leave from without having to walk 300 metres to the entrance.
Soma Holding Chairman Alp Gurkan told the conference that when the facility was first established, the main refuge room could hold 500 people, but this was closed when production finished in that part of the mine.
"We disassembled the rescue chamber here because the production had stopped. We didn't need a chamber in this area, our production was in the lower levels," he explained.
Turkey mine explosion
Turkey mine explosion
1/16 Turkey mine explosion
People mourn in a graveyard in the western town of Soma after an explosion and a fire in a coal mine killed at least 284 workers
2/16 Turkey mine explosion
A woman wipes a tear as people mourn in a graveyard
3/16 Turkey mine explosion
Relatives of the victim and citizens attend the funeral of miner Ahmet Celik (34) who died at the coal mine fire disaster in Soma district of Manisa
4/16 Turkey mine explosion
Rescue workers with breathing apparatus prepare to enter the mine in Soma
5/16 Turkey mine explosion
Soma Holding owner Alp Gurkan (2nd L) shows during a press conference in Soma a picture of the mine where an explosion killed at least 284 workers. The operator of the mine denied charges of negligence, as the government warning that the toll from the blast would likely top 300, Turkey's prime minister faced fresh criticism after video emerged of him apparently shouting an anti-Israel slur at angry protesters during a visit the day after to the disaster site
6/16 Turkey mine explosion
Funeral ceremony of twin miner brothers Ismail and Suleyman Cata
7/16 Turkey mine explosion
Miners react as bodies of their dead co-workers are carried out of the mine
8/16 Turkey mine explosion
Rescuers carry out the dead – as many as 787 workers were in the mine on Tuesday when there was a huge explosion thought to have been caused by faulty electrical transformers
9/16 Turkey mine explosion
An injured miner is carried to an ambulance after being rescued from a coal mine he was in trapped in Soma
10/16 Turkey mine explosion
An injured miner came out carried by rescuers after an explosion in Manisa
11/16 Turkey mine explosion
Medics, ambulances and relatives at the entrance of the mine
12/16 Turkey mine explosion
A man kisses his son after he was rescued from the mine
13/16 Turkey mine explosion
An injured miner is carried out by rescuers
14/16 Turkey mine explosion
Miners help carry one of their injured co-workers
15/16 Turkey mine explosion
Medics and fellow miners help carry out of their injured colleagues
16/16 Turkey mine explosion
Miners cry after receiving a dead colleague in Soma, Turkey
Preparations were underway to build refuge rooms in a deeper part of the mine, where work had been moved to.
He said they had taken all precautions and measures required in mines by law and claimed work was underway on building a new rescue chamber. "If this accident had taken place three or four months later, we would have had production here and we would have had a rescue chamber here," he told the press conference.
Mr Gurkan said he was in a "terrible state" over the tragedy, but insisted they were not obliged to have a working rescue chamber by law. “I am in severe pain. People who know me would understand,” he added.
The news comes as the main operator of the mine insisted the fire was not linked to the sub-station, and was instead the product of a build-up of heat.
Ramazan Dogru, the general manager of the mine, rejected initial reports that claimed the fire was caused by an explosion at a power distribution unit.
"It was an unbelievable accident in a place where there have been very few accidents in 30 years," Mr Gurkan said. "A mine with top level miners, accepted as being the most trustworthy and organised."
Official experts will go down and inspect the mine once all of the bodies have been recovered, and they will then provide a report on how the tragedy occurred, officials said.
"We still do not know how the accident happened. There is no negligence of ours in this incident. We all worked heart and soul," said Akin Celik, the plant manager of the mine.
The company said a total of 787 workers had been in the mine at the time, of which 122 had been hospitalised and a further 363 evacuated.