11 killed in a day as Baghdad rocked by increase in violence
Monday 16 August 2010
Drive-by shootings and a spate of bombings killed 11 people and wounded dozens in Iraq yesterday.
Five of the dead were Iraqi police and security forces. Gunmen also opened fire on worshippers as they left dawn prayers in the town of Jurf al-Sakhr, just south of Baghdad, killing three and wounding one. Hours later, rush-hour bombings across the capital killed four commuters.
In the deadliest strike, a roadside bomb exploded next to a minibus killing three people, including a police officer. Nine others were wounded in the early-morning attack. Three bombs were also planted near each other in a downtown business district.
Jeremy Paxman reveals he has heard senior Tories calling activists 'swivel-eyed loons'
Gay couple beaten in park urge MPs to moderate language on gay marriage
Strewth mate. Aussies wave goodbye to Britain as it becomes too pricey to stay
X marks the spot: The find that could rewrite Australian history
Oklahoma tornado latest: Obama pledges support for 'as long as it takes' to rebuild the suburb of Moore
- 1 'He was lucky he didn't die' - George Michael fell out of speeding car onto M1 motorway, according to eye witness
- 2 Austerity has hardened the nation's heart
- 3 Gay couple beaten in park urge MPs to moderate language on gay marriage
- 4 Why Arsène Wenger must spend to put icing on the cake and buy likes of Stevan Jovetic for Arsenal
- 5 'It was just like the movie Twister': Man survives Oklahoma tornado by taking refuge in horse stall
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.
£200 - £250 per day: Progressive Recruitment: Java Developer- £200-£250 London...
£40000 - £60000 per annum + Excellent benefits, inc bonus & healthcare: Progre...
£30000 - £45000 per annum + Bens: Progressive Recruitment: Exciting opportunit...
Negotiable: Progressive Recruitment: SAP BI Specialist - Contract - 6 Months -...