'20 killed' as Syrian warplanes attack olive press factory
Tuesday 27 November 2012
Syrian warplanes bombed an olive press factory in the country's north yesterday, killing and wounding dozens of people, including farmers who were waiting to convert their olives to oil, activists said.
At least 20 people were reportedly killed and many others wounded in the raid west of the city of Idlib.
President Bashar Assad's regime has been launching intense air raids on rebels in recent months, mostly in Idlib, the nearby province of Aleppo, Deir el-Zour to the east and suburbs of the capital Damascus.
The most recent air raids have killed hundreds of people, including eight children on Sunday in the village of Deir al-Asafir near Damascus.
Hilal Khashan, a political science professor at the American University of Beirut, said the air force was being used in areas the army could not easily reach.
"This is mass punishment. The regime is striking at civilian areas to make the people pay a price for not standing against advancing opposition forces," Khashan said. "The regime wants to make the price of its opponents' victory costly."
Olive oil is a main staple in Syria, and tens of thousands of tons are produced annually.
- 1 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 2 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 3 George Galloway left with severe bruising after attack in Notting Hill by man 'shouting about the Holocaust'
- 4 Lady al-Qa’ida: On the trail of Dr Aafia Siddiqui, the world’s most wanted prisoner
- 5 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
- < Previous
- Next >
£60000 - £70000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Senior Data Sc...
Highly Attractive Salary: Austen Lloyd: BRISTOL - This is a very unusual law c...
£28000 - £30000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Junior VB.NET ...
£40000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: C# .NET Web De...