Abu Dhabi pines for a golden Christmas
Friday 17 December 2010
A hotel in Abu Dhabi is in the running for the accolade of having the world's most expensive Christmas tree.
The $11m (£7m) faux fir at the Emirates Palace hotel – which also boasts its own marina, heliport and a vending machine which dispenses real gold bars – stands 43ft (13m) tall and has been decorated with 131 trinkets crafted from gold, diamonds and sapphires. The hotel is now in line for an entry in Guinness World Records.
The current record holder is a $10.8m tree decorated by Swiss watch makers Piaget, which was unveiled in Tokyo in 2002.
East 17 bandmember Brian Harvey in 'very desperate situation’
Vladimir Putin says Russia will fight for the right of Palestinians to their own state
Ohio Democrat Teresa Fedor speaks out during abortion debate to reveal she has been raped – and is interrupted by laughter from Republicans
Children take eight Isis captives to be beheaded in latest propaganda video
Jeremy Clarkson 'could be given minder' ahead of a potential Top Gear return
- 1 East 17 bandmember Brian Harvey in 'very desperate situation’
- 2 Yorkshire man to win £10,000 off a £1 bet placed six years ago if Dan Jarvis becomes Labour Party leader
- 3 Vladimir Putin says Russia will fight for the right of Palestinians to their own state
- 4 Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
- 5 The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
£6 per hour: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity to join a gro...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: A Service Delivery Manager is required to join...
£12000 - £24000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A opportunity has arisen for a ...
£32000 - £38000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A successful accountancy practice in...