Ahmadinejad hints at Iran nuclear compromise
Saturday 21 August 2010
Iran would stop higher-grade enrichment if it is assured of nuclear fuel supplies for a research reactor, President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad was quoted as saying in a Japanese newspaper yesterday.
Published on the eve of the inauguration of Iran's first nuclear power plant, Mr Ahmadinejad's comments appeared to signal a willingness to compromise on a key concern for the West.
Major powers suspect Iran wants to develop nuclear weapons, a fear heightened by its move in February to start enriching uranium to a level of 20 percent, compared to about 3.5 percent previously, taking it closer to weapons-grade levels.
Iran says its work is for peaceful purposes and it had to enrich to higher levels after UN-backed talks for a fuel-swap deal with the US, Russia and France stalled last year.
James Foley 'beheaded': PM cuts holiday short for emergency meeting on British response to latest Isis atrocity
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
James Foley 'beheaded': Isis video shows militant with British accent 'execute US journalist' – as hunt begins for killer
James Foley beheading: Police 'could have narrowed hunt for killer to very small group of people'
- 1 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 2 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 3 World peace? These are the only 11 countries in the world that are actually free from conflict
- 4 Nicki Minaj 'Anaconda': Singer finally releases predictable video
- 5 James Foley 'beheading': Met police warn public watching murder video could be criminal offence
£30000 - £37000 per annum + attractive benefits: Ashdown Group: .NET Developer...
£20000 - £25000 per annum + OTE £40,000: SThree: SThree Group have been well e...
£300 Per Day: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: An experienced Digital/Ecommerc...
£30000 - £35000 Per Annum + 25 days holiday and bonus: Clearwater People Solut...