Anger at Russian nuclear fuel help
Saturday 14 August 2010
Russia said yesterday it would begin loading nuclear fuel into the reactor of Iran's first atomic power station on 21 August, an irreversible step marking the start-up of the Bushehr plant after nearly 40 years of delays.
Russia agreed in 1995 to build the Bushehr plant on the site of a project begun in the 1970s by the German firm Siemens, but delays have haunted the $1bn (£640m) project and diplomats say Moscow has used it as a lever in its relations with Tehran.
The United States has criticised Russia for pushing ahead with the Bushehr project at a time when major powers, including Russia, are pressing Tehran to allay fears that its nuclear energy programme may be intended for developing weapons.
But Western fears abated when Moscow reached an agreement with Iran obliging it to return spent fuel to Russia. Weapons-grade plutonium can be derived from spent fuel rods.
Rihanna 'nude pictures' claims emerge on 4Chan as hacking scandal continues
Kim Kardashian 'nude photos' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence scandal
Khorasan: Muhsin al-Fadhli - the man leading a terror group more feared by US officials than Isis
'F*ck it, I quit': KTVA reporter Charlo Greene quits live on air in spectacular fashion
Alicia Keys leaks nude photo 'to create a kinder and more peaceful world'
- 1 iOS 8 apps and features: eight iPhone settings you need to look at after you install update
- 2 Kim Kardashian 'nude photos' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence scandal
- 3 'F*ck it, I quit': KTVA reporter Charlo Greene quits live on air in spectacular fashion
- 4 Scotland could still declare independence – even without referendum, says Alex Salmond
- 5 Hitler’s former food taster reveals the horrors of the Wolf’s Lair
£85 - £140 per day: Randstad Education Chester: English Teacher The school, th...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Manchester: Maths Teacher (one day per week) Gr...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Manchester: Science Teacher Greater Manchester
£120 - £162 per day: Randstad Education Hull: Humanities teacher required for ...