Bahrain acquits police officers accused of torturing doctors who treated protesters
Monday 23 December 2013
A lawyer says a Bahrain court has acquitted two police officers accused of torturing doctors who were detained while treating wounded Shiite protesters in 2011.
Lawyer Ali Al Juffairi says he attended Monday's court session and that none of the six doctors or the two police officers were present when the verdict was read. The doctors were released from custody at different times over the past years.
Among the two acquitted was Noora bint Ibrahim Al Khalifa, a female police officer and member of Bahrain's royal family.
The doctors were detained at the height of protests in Bahrain by Shiites demanding greater rights from the Sunni monarchy.
The case is the latest in a string of acquittals for security officers accused of using excessive force and abusing detainees in Bahrain.
Kensington flat branded ‘uninhabitable’ by estate agent on sale for a bargain £600,000
Miley Cyrus' homeless MTV VMAs date, Jesse Helt, is wanted by the police
Arizona shooting: Gun instructor accidentally killed by nine-year-old girl with Uzi
Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
Enormous wasps' nest covering bed found in woman's spare room
- 1 Arizona shooting: Gun instructor accidentally killed by nine-year-old girl with Uzi
- 2 Miley Cyrus' homeless MTV VMAs date, Jesse Helt, is wanted by the police
- 3 Paul Scholes: Manchester City were so good against Liverpool I felt like turning the television off
- 4 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 5 Pamela Anderson rejects ice bucket challenge because of ALS experiments on animals: 'Mice had holes drilled into their skulls'
- < Previous
- Next >
£45000 - £60000 Per Annum + benefits: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Scrum M...
£25000 - £35000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: Job Title: Junior As...
£28000 - £30000 per annum: Ashdown Group: HR Generalist / HR Officer (standalo...
£35000 - £36000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: A market leading financia...