Eight civilians killed and many injured in attacks on Shiite neighbourhoods of Baghdad
Tuesday 23 October 2012
Eight civilians have been killed and 24 others injured in separate
attacks in Shiite neighbourhoods of Baghdad, Iraqi officials said today.
A police officer said three parked car bombs exploded simultaneously in separate areas in the north-western neighbourhood of Shula early today, killing six people and injuring 14 others.
Another police officer said two mortar rounds landed in the capital's northern Chikok district, killing two people and wounding 10.
Two health officials in nearby hospitals confirmed the casualty figures.
Although violence has ebbed since the heights of the insurgency, Baghdad's Shiite areas remain favourite targets for Sunni extremists who seek to ignite nationwide sectarian conflict.
- 1 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 2 Google April Fools': company unveils backwards search engine and huggable digital assistant
- 3 I might be an MP, but that doesn't stop me fighting sexism with my breasts
- 4 April Fools' Day 2015: The best hoax news stories from around the internet
- 5 Gamers confess the worst things they've done in The Sims
£18000 - £22000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Working closely with the market...
£20000 - £50000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A reputable company, famed for ...
Negotiable: Ashdown Group: The Ashdown Group has been engaged by a highly resp...