Former Chief Rabbi Yona Metzger charged with money laundering
Monday 18 November 2013
A former Chief Rabbi has been arrested in Israel following a fraud inquiry.
Yona Metzger faces accusations of bribery, money laundering and income tax violations.
Police said the crimes were allegedly committed while Mr Metzger served as Chief Rabbi. Mr Metzger suspended himself from his post in June, weeks before the end of his 10-year term, after police questioned him on the matter.
He was Chief Rabbi for Israel’s Ashkenazi, or European-descended, Jews.
Along with a second Chief Rabbi from the Sephardic, or Middle Eastern lineage of Jews, Mr Metzger led the country’s supreme body for overseeing Jewish religious services.
Mr Metzger denies the allegations against him.
Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
YouTube video posted by Isis militants shows 'execution of 250 Syrian soldiers'
Joan Rivers: 'Palestinians deserve to be dead'
Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
Botched ice bucket challenge leaves man critically injured after plane drops hundreds of gallons of water
- 1 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 2 Joan Rivers: 'Palestinians deserve to be dead'
- 3 Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
- 4 Botched ice bucket challenge leaves man critically injured after plane drops hundreds of gallons of water
- 5 Friends reunion: Jennifer Anniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
- < Previous
- Next >
Highly Competitive Salary: Austen Lloyd: CITY - An excellent new instruction w...
£500 per day: Harrington Starr: SQL Server Developer SQL, PHP, C#, Real Time,...
£600 per day: Harrington Starr: C#.NET Developer C#, Win Forms, WPF, WCF, MVVM...