French railway company SNCF accused of banning black and Asian employees during visit of Israeli President Shimon Peres
Tuesday 16 April 2013
A race row has broken out in France over claims that the state railway company, SNCF, made effort to ensure that Israeli President Shimon Peres did not meet black or Asian employees in case they were Muslims.
Mr Peres visited Paris last month for a meeting with his French counterpart Francois Hollande. The SUD-Rail union claims that SNCF’s baggage handling subsidiary, Itiremia, had insisted – on the grounds of security – that only certain members of staff met Mr Peres as he arrived at Paris’s Gard du Nord station from Brussels.
SNCF has denied the claims and has insisted that the Israeli embassy in the French capital did not ask for assistance.
The company’s management had insisted that, “no Muslim must greet the Israeli head of state,” the union has claimed. The claims have outraged SNCF staff.
Migrant crisis: Greek soldier saved 20 people singlehandedly off Rhodes beach
Stephen Hawking endorses Labour in the General Election
Aaron and Melissa Klein: Oregon anti-gay bakers ordered to pay $135,000 after refusing to make cake for same-sex wedding
UK weather: Britain braced for snow as arctic air mass moves in
Power of Nepal earthquake was equivalent to 20 huge atomic bombs
- 1 Frank Lampard's face drops when Holly Willoughby introduces him as a 'Man City legend'
- 2 Migrant crisis: Greek soldier saved 20 people singlehandedly off Rhodes beach
- 3 UK weather: Britain braced for snow as arctic air mass moves in
- 4 Aaron and Melissa Klein: Oregon anti-gay bakers ordered to pay $135,000 after refusing to make cake for same-sex wedding
- 5 Stephen Hawking endorses Labour in the General Election
£16000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Photographer/ Floor planner /...
£30000 - £40000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Front-End Developer - Guildford/Craw...
£13500 - £15000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Customer Service Assistant is...
£16000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An ambitious and motivated Sale...