Fresh outbreak of gunfire in Syrian port city
Monday 15 August 2011
A fresh outbreak of heavy gunfire has been reported in parts of the Syrian port city of Latakia where military operations are now in their third day.
Activists said loud explosions and gunfire were heard throughout the night and early today in Latakia's al-Ramel district and nearby areas as residents continue to flee.
Activist groups said at least 25 people died in operations in the Mediterranean city yesterday when gunboats joined ground troops to crush the uprising against President Bashar Assad's regime.
Today, they also said troops backed by tanks entered the town of Houla, near the flashpoint central city of Homs.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said the military is carrying out raids and arrests there.
Top Un: North Korean dictator Kim Jong-Un is Maverick as he poses with all-female pilot crew of the Anti-Air Force Unit
Belle Knox: How the porn star student from Duke University became bigger than Justin Bieber
Top 10 most expensive cities in the world: Singapore named costliest place to live – but what about London?
Oscar Pistorius trial: Athlete 'cheated on me' with Reeva Steenkamp, former girlfriend Samantha Taylor tells Pretoria court
Channel 4 announces two-hour TV show to be broadcast 'Live from Space' later this month
- 1 The future of sex: The first female condoms were derided, mistrusted and shunned - but will their modern counterparts catch on?
- 2 South African rhino finally put down after roaming Kruger park for days with horn hacked off and bullet in brain
- 3 Italian pensioner hires an escort who turns out to be his son's girlfriend
- 4 Orgasm machine to deliver climax at the push of a button
- 5 Liam Neeson turned down James Bond role to marry Natasha Richardson
£12000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: A small but growing chain of boutique hot...
£12000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: The company works with Tier 1 FTSE 100 Ba...
£45 - 60k Per Annum: Charter Selection: Highly profitable leisure brand, marke...
£30000 - £50000 per annum + Highly Competitive Salary: Austen Lloyd: Residenti...