Fresh outbreak of gunfire in Syrian port city
Monday 15 August 2011
A fresh outbreak of heavy gunfire has been reported in parts of the Syrian port city of Latakia where military operations are now in their third day.
Activists said loud explosions and gunfire were heard throughout the night and early today in Latakia's al-Ramel district and nearby areas as residents continue to flee.
Activist groups said at least 25 people died in operations in the Mediterranean city yesterday when gunboats joined ground troops to crush the uprising against President Bashar Assad's regime.
Today, they also said troops backed by tanks entered the town of Houla, near the flashpoint central city of Homs.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said the military is carrying out raids and arrests there.
The City of the Monkey God: Archaeologists claim to have found city lost for 1,000 years in remote Honduran jungle
Turkish Airlines flight TK 726 crash-lands on Nepal runway amid dense fog
Japanese island overrun with cats after population explodes
London property boom built on dirty money
Becky Watts: Stepbrother and his girlfriend named locally as two arrested on suspicion of murder
- 1 Home Office says Nigerian asylum-seeker can’t be a lesbian as she’s got children
- 2 What happens to your body when you give up sugar?
- 3 Drugs Live cannabis trial: Hash is less harmful than any other drug, expert claims
- 4 Turkish Airlines flight TK 726 crash-lands on Nepal runway amid dense fog
- 5 Apple and Google users being spied on for a decade because of 'Freak' security flaw
£25000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This firm are focussed on assis...
£7 per hour: Recruitment Genius: A vacancy has arisen for a General Processor ...
£18000 - £22000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A great opportunity has arisen ...
£14000 - £16000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Full time and Part time positio...