Iran frees actress sentenced to lashing, says Amnesty
Saturday 29 October 2011
Amnesty International says an Iranian appeals court has overturned the lashing sentence against an actress who appeared in a film critical of the Islamic republic's hard-line policies.
Amnesty's website says Marzieh Vafamehr was released from prison earlier this week after her sentence of one year in prison and 90 lashes was overturned on appeal.
There was no report on Vafamehr's case in Iranian media today.
Vafamehr appeared in the Australian-backed film "My Tehran for Sale," which was shot in the Iranian capital. It tells the story of a young actress whose stage work is banned by authorities.
It premiered at the Adelaide Film Festival in 2009, but is banned in Iran. AP
Rihanna 'nude photos' claims emerge on 4Chan as hacking scandal continues
Kim Kardashian 'nude photos' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence scandal
'F*ck it, I quit': TV reporter Charlo Greene quits live on air in spectacular fashion
Scotland could still declare independence – even without referendum, says Alex Salmond
Jennifer Lawrence leaked 4Chan sex video branded 'fake' by forum users
- 1 All Blacks Aaron Cruden misses New Zealand flight after drinking session, has brilliant excuse
- 2 Kim Kardashian 'nude photos' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence scandal
- 3 'F*ck it, I quit': TV reporter Charlo Greene quits live on air in spectacular fashion
- 4 Clothes store Joy angers mental health campaigners with Twitter exchange on bipolar disorders
- 5 Scotland could still declare independence – even without referendum, says Alex Salmond
£300 - £350 Per Day: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Pharmaceutical Computer ...
£400 - £450 Per Day: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Our client is currently ...
£90 - £115 per day: Randstad Education Birmingham: We are currently looking fo...
£120 - £140 per day: Randstad Education Birmingham: Job Share Year 3/4 Teacher...