Iran plans to launch Persian cat into space as it prepares to send first human astronaut by 2018
Iran is preparing to launch a cat into space, just seven months after claiming to have sent a monkey on a successful 20 minute flight 72 miles into the atmosphere.
The move comes as the country prepares to send their first human astronaut into space by 2018 in a bid to develop their aerospace programme.
Monday's report by the official IRNA news agency quotes space official Mohammad Ebrahimi as saying the next animal could be the distinctive Persian cat, a long-haired, flat-faced breed named after Iran's former name of Persia.
The launch could occur as soon as March 2014. No other details were given.
In February, Iran insisted it had sent a monkey outside earth's atmosphere and returned it safely. But photos they released raised international questions about whether the same animal was shown in pre- and post-launch images.
Officials in Iran said state media had mistakenly issued pictures of an alternative monkey that had not been chosen for the mission.
Presents unwrapped, turkey gobbled... it's time to relax
Black Friday 2014: Opening times for Asda, John Lewis, GAME, PC World and Argos
Sean Abbott: Messages of support flood in for bowler after death of Phil Hughes
Plebgate: Andrew Mitchell’s reputation in tatters as judge rules he used the word ‘pleb’
Dr Lam Hoe Yeoh: Voyeur doctor jailed for eight years after using network of hidden cameras to film patients, colleagues and friends on the toilet
'You should come to my house and eat cheeses with me': 4-year-old sends adorable love letter to girl at school
- 1 Exodus Gods and Kings casting controversy: Ridley Scott would never cast 'Mohammad so-and-so from such-and-such' in lead role
- 2 This letter from a reader explains why women can’t play football
- 3 'You should come to my house and eat cheeses with me': 4-year-old sends adorable love letter to girl at school
- 4 Scientists predict green energy revolution after incredible new graphene discoveries
- 5 Michael Buerk wishes he killed Jimmy Savile when he had the chance - by pushing him overboard a cruise ship
£25000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: If you have experience of B2B s...
£Attractive Package: Citifocus Ltd: Prestigious asset management house seeks a...
£Negotiable: Citifocus Ltd: This is a varied role focusing on the firm's mutua...
£20000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: One of Scotland's leading train...