We are currently trialling our new-look independent.co.uk website - please send any feedback to beta@independent.co.uk

Middle East

Israel-Gaza conflict: Names of 373 children killed by bombing released in charity plea for permanent ceasefire

The number of dead children has since increased to 408, according to UN

Names of 373 children and babies killed so far in the conflict in Gaza have been published as part of a charity campaign for a permanent ceasefire.

The names were listed in full-page advertisements taken out by Save the Children in national newspapers to support a petition to the United Nations for an urgent solution.

Among the dead were four young boys killed while playing football on a beach, 10 children hit by a rocket in a refugee camp and  a seven-month-old baby who died along with seven family members in an air strike.

Save the Children's chief executive, Justin Forsyth, called the deaths of more than 300 children in just four weeks "an outrage".

"To see the names of the children, some as young as a few months, written in stark black and white brings home the tragedy that has befallen Gaza's children," he said.

The Save the Children advert was published in national newspapers on Tuesday

"One child's death is too many - 373 is an outrage that is a stain on the world's conscience.

"We condemn all indiscriminate attacks on civilians in Gaza and Israel and by publishing these names, we are reminding the world of the urgent need to push for a permanent ceasefire.

"We must ensure that no more young lives are needlessly sacrificed."

The number has since risen to 408 after more bodies were recovered from the rubble, a spokesman for Save the Children said.

Video: UK aid to Gaza increased

The names in the advert, which ran in The Independent, the i, The Times, Guardian and Telegraph, were gathered from the Palestinian Ministry of Health.

It encouraged people to sign the charity’s online petition to the Secretary General of the UN, Ban ki-Moon.

The "Not One More Name" campaign calls for a permanent ceasefire and UN action against the bombing of civilian areas by all parties in the conflict, as well as a halt to the Israeli blockade of the Gaza Strip.

A new three-day cease-fire began on Tuesday after several failed attempts at a truce, with both Israeli forces and Hamas appearing to stop cross-border attacks.

Operation Protective Edge, which Israel started last month in response to Hamas rocket fire, has killed more than 1,800 Palestinians, mostly civilians, and destroyed thousands of homes.

Out of Israeli fatalities, 64 have been soldiers and three civilians.