Israel kills members of 'global jihad movement'
Donald Macintyre writes political sketches for The Independent, having been Jerusalem correspondent since 2004, covering Israel and the Occupied Territories, as well as travelling for the paper to Iraq, Turkey, Jordan, Libya and Egypt.
Thursday 21 June 2012
The Israeli military claimed yesterday that two men targeted in an air strike in Gaza were members of a "global jihad" movement involved in a recent attack across the Egypt-Israel border which killed an Israeli civilian.
The strike killed Ghaleb Armiilat and seriously wounded Mohammed Rashdan, who was a member of the Tawhid and Jihad organisation, an ultra-militant group that the army said had played a "central role" in Monday's border attack.
The assassination came amid a new wave of apparently unconnected Israeli air strikes and Palestinian rocket attacks in Gaza which have left at least six Palestinians dead. Hamas's armed wing has claimed responsibility for many of the rocket attacks, after a year in which it had largely maintained an undeclared ceasefire.
The Tawhid and Jihad is an extreme Islamic group said to draw inspiration from al-Qa'ida and ideologically at odds with Hamas. The group last year kidnapped Vittorio Arrigoni. The group threatened to kill him unless Hamas released one of its leaders and when armed Hamas police stormed a house in a rescue attempt, they found the hanged body of the Italian.
Monday's cross-border attack claimed the lives of Said Fashfashe, an Israeli Arab worker on the new border security fence, and two militants.
- 1 Kylie Jenner challenge: Bizarre lip suction device inspired by Kardashian sister goes viral
- 2 Rarest Beanie Baby bought for just £10 at car boot sale could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 3 Katie Hopkins and The Sun editor are reported to police for incitement to racial hatred following migrant boat column
- 4 Bruce Forsyth backs assisted dying campaign: 'If I had Alzheimer's or dementia I would do something about it'
- 5 Giorgio Armani criticises the way some gay men dress saying 'a man has to be a man'
£14000 - £18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An Office Administrator is requ...
£12000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Due to expansion and growth of ...
£40000 - £50000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Senior PHP Developer position with a...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: An Operations Leader is required to join a lea...