Israel-Gaza conflict: Airstrike kills militant Islamic Jihad leader
Daniel Mansour died when the strike hit his home just before dawn Monday
Monday 04 August 2014
An Israeli airstrike has killed a militant leader in the Gaza Strip, just hours ahead of an expected seven-hour truce announced by Israel.
The Islamic Jihad group — a close ally of Gaza's Hamas rulers — says that Daniel Mansour, its commander in the northern part of the strip, died when the strike hit his home just before dawn Monday.
Israel has been drawing down its ground operation since the weekend but has kept up its aerial, offshore and artillery bombardments of the strip.
The cease-fire, which was to start at 10 a.m. on Monday, does not apply to the entire territory.
The Gaza war, now in its fourth week, has left more than 1,800 Palestinians and more than 60 Israelis dead.
- 1 Forget 'The Dress': Here are five of the biggest news stories you might have missed
- 2 The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
- 3 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 4 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 5 Saudi Muslim cleric claims the Earth is 'stationary' and the sun rotates around it
£9 per hour: Recruitment Genius: This role is based within a small family run ...
£28000 - £32000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This Design and marketing agenc...
£46000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This property investment firm are lookin...
£18000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company specialises provid...