Israel-Gaza conflict: Netanyahu vows to continue operations until all tunnels are destroyed 'with or without a ceasefire'
Israel's military has called up 16,000 reservists
The Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has vowed to complete an operation to destroy all tunnels constructed by Hamas “with or without a ceasefire”, as Israel's military called up an additional 16,000 reservists.
Speaking ahead of a cabinet meeting in Tel Aviv today, Mr Netanyahu warned he will not accept any truce that does not allow Israel to complete its mission of destroying the sophisticated tunnel network used to carry out attacks inside Israel.
"We have neutralised dozens of terror tunnels and we are committed to complete this mission, with or without a cease-fire," Mr Netanyahu said. "Therefore I will not agree to any offer that does not allow the military to complete this important mission for the security of the people of Israel."
Major General Sami Turgeman, chief of Israeli forces in Gaza, has said they are "but a few days away from destroying all the attack tunnels". The army said 32 of the secret passages had been found so far and half of them have been destroyed.
On Wednesday, Israel’s cabinet approved continuing Operation Protective Edge launched on 8 July in response to a surge of rocket attacks by Hamas militants. Gaza officials say the Palestinian death toll since this date has reached 1,361, most of them civilians. Fifty-six Israelis have been killed.
Earlier, the Israeli military said it was calling up some 16,000 reservists at short notice, bringing the total number of troops mobilised during the conflict to 86,000. A spokesperson said the troops are joining the operation to allow troops on the ground to rest.
Meanwhile, the White House expressed concern at the deaths in Jabalya and other UN-run shelters shelled during the clashes.
"We are extremely concerned that thousands of internally displaced Palestinians who have been called on by the Israeli military to evacuate their homes are not safe in UN-designated shelters in Gaza," said National Security Council spokeswoman Bernadette Meehan.
Video: Israeli footage of alleged Hamas tunnels
This came as a US defence official claimed to CNN Washington that has also agreed to resupply Israel with several types of ammunition.
The UN Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) says it is at "breaking point" with over 225,000 civilians seeking refuge in 86 of their shelters.
Read more: Chris Gunness breaks down after shelling on school
At least 15 killed as crowded market is hit by strikes
The Israeli government spokesman Mark Regev told the BBC Israel would apologise if it was determined that their fire was responsible for the Jabaliya school strike.
"We have a policy - we don't target civilians," he said. "It's not clear to us that it was our fire but we know for a fact there was hostile fire on our people from the vicinity of the school."
Attacks in the Gaza strip are continuing, with witnesses saying that munitions struck the Omar Ibn al-Khatab mosque next to a UN school in the northern town of Beit Lahiya on Thursday. wounding three.
France gripped by fear at Christmas after third street attack in three days
Antonio Martin shooting: Mayor says there should be 'no comparison' to Ferguson
Antonio Martin shooting: Police and protesters clash over teenager's death just five miles from Ferguson, Missouri
British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
Helena Bonham Carter and Tim Burton split after 13 years
- 1 Planes go hybrid-electric in important step to greener flight
- 3 Antonio Martin shooting: Mayor says there should be 'no comparison' to Ferguson
£20000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This full service social media ...
£24000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: We are 'Changemakers in retail'...
Very Competitive: Austen Lloyd: Senior Conveyancer - South West We are see...
Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: DORSET MARKET TOWN - SENIOR PROPERTY SOLICITOR...