Lost treasures were in Iraqi PM's kitchen
Tuesday 21 September 2010
More than 600 ancient artefacts smuggled out of Iraq, recovered and lost again have been found among kitchen supplies stored at the Prime Minister's office.
The 638 items include pieces of jewellery, bronze figurines and cylindrical seals from the world's most ancient civilisations that were looted from the Iraqi National Museum in Baghdad after the 2003 invasion.
After their recovery, the US military delivered them last year to Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki's office, where they were forgotten.
The artefacts, packed in sealed boxes, were misplaced because of poor co-ordination between the Iraqi government ministries involved, said Antiquities Minister Qahtan al-Jabouri. He blamed "inappropriate handover procedures" but did not go into detail.
Iraqi and world culture officials have for years struggled to retrieve looted treasures but with little success. So far, 5,000 items stolen since the 2003 invasion have been recovered. More than 15,000 pieces from the National Museum are still missing.
Husband and wife die holding hands within hours of each other after 67 years of marriage
Mohammed Emwazi: Nine things we know about Isis militant 'Jihadi John'
What color is The Dress, white and gold or blue and black? An eyewitness gives a definitive answer
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Madonna claims jokes about her age tantamount to racism: 'No one would dare to say a degrading remark about being black'
- 1 The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
- 2 Husband and wife die holding hands within hours of each other after 67 years of marriage
- 3 What color is The Dress, white and gold or blue and black? An eyewitness gives a definitive answer
- 4 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 5 Madonna claims jokes about her age tantamount to racism: 'No one would dare to say a degrading remark about being black'
salary equal to £40K pro-rata: Sauce Recruitment: Are you available to start a...
£35000 - £40000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Creative Front-End Developer - Claph...
£18000 - £24000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The role in this successful eco...
£28000 - £30000 per annum: Ashdown Group: QA Tester - London - £30,000 QA Tes...