More chemical weapons inspectors on way to Syria
Tuesday 08 October 2013
The chief of the global chemical weapons watchdog has said it is sending a second team of inspectors to Syria to expand its high-stakes, high-risk mission to rid the country of its poison gas stockpile.
Ahmet Uzumcu, director-general of the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW), spoke to the group’s 41-nation Executive Council at the start of a four-day meeting in The Hague. OPCW inspectors are in Syria to verify and destroy an estimated 1,000 tons of chemical weapons.
Mr Uzumcu called initial Syrian cooperation last week, providing more detail of the country’s chemical weapons and beginning to destroy them and facilities to produce them, “a constructive beginning”.
Arsenal strengthened their grip on a top-four finish with a straightforward 3-0 win over Hull City.
Easter egg hunt horror as mother finds dead body under deck of house
Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370: Wreckage could be found within a week as search reaches 'very critical juncture', says minister
Unbeliebable: The White House offer 'no comment' to anti-Justin Bieber petition
Loch Ness Monster found on Apple Maps?
Royal Tour 2014: Is the Duchess of Cambridge the only person ever to climb into a fighter jet wearing a dress and high heels?
- 1 Easter egg hunt horror as mother finds dead body under deck of house
- 2 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 3 Unbeliebable: The White House offer 'no comment' to anti-Justin Bieber petition
- 4 Loch Ness Monster found on Apple Maps?
- 5 How We Met: Alison Moyet & Emma Kennedy: 'I knew we'd be friends because she was happy to make a prat of herself'
£150.00 per week: QA Apprenticeships: This company is a company that specializ...
£153.75 per week: QA Apprenticeships: This company is an innovative outsourcin...
£150.00 per week: QA Apprenticeships: This company has been providing on site ...
£150.00 per week: QA Apprenticeships: We've been supplying best of breed peopl...