Rare snowstorm leaves Jerusalem in lockdown
Friday 13 December 2013
A rare snowstorm has blanketed Jerusalem, forcing a lockdown with police blocking access to and from the city.
Police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld says citizens have been told not to enter or leave Jerusalem. Some 1,500 people were evacuated from stranded vehicles overnight.
Rosenfeld says three emergency centers have been set up and medics treated 350 people for cold-related symptoms. Mayor Nir Barkat says he asked the military for assistance.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu says he was briefed on the emergency measures and even visiting U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry, a former Massachusetts senator, made a remark about the weather, saying the snow made him feel "at home."
The rest of the region has also been pounded by the wintry weather. Gaza has experienced its first snow in a decade.
Israelis walk in the snow outside Jerusalem's old city
Western Wall and the Dome of the Rock, some of the holiest sites for for Jews and Muslims, are covered in snow in Jerusalem on 13 December 2013
Liam Gallagher brands Kanye West 'utter s**t' during BRIT Awards performance
Isis burns thousands of books and rare manuscripts from Mosul's libraries
Husband and wife die holding hands within hours of each other after 67 years of marriage
Mohammed Emwazi: Family of man named as 'Jihadi John' described by neighbours as 'normal Muslim family'
Mohammed Emwazi: Nine things we know about man named as Isis militant 'Jihadi John'
- 1 Isis burns thousands of books and rare manuscripts from Mosul's libraries
- 2 Scarlett Johansson new band 'already hit with legal complaint' from another The Singles
- 3 Husband and wife die holding hands within hours of each other after 67 years of marriage
- 4 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 5 'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamaphobia
£23000 - £26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This small, friendly, proactive...
£14500 - £22800 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: A Software Developer is required to join a lea...
Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: A first rate opportunity to join a top ranking...