Rodin statue stolen from Israel Museum
Thursday 10 March 2011
A statue by the French sculptor Auguste Rodin has been stolen from the Israel Museum during renovations, the museum said yesterday.
The nude bronze of the French novelist Honoré de Balzac was one of a series of four studies that Rodin cast for a monument to Balzac on display in Paris. It was donated to the museum in Jerusalem in 1966 by the Jewish-American impresario and lyricist Billy Rose.
The museum said the theft was discovered three months ago and reported to police, who are investigating. The work was moulded in 1892 and weighs 140lb.
- 1 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 2 Tower Bridge glass walkway 'smashed' by night-time visitor dropping bottle of beer
- 3 Anti-gay hate preacher accidentally tweets 4,000 followers cartoon clip of him 'confessing' to be a 'homosexual sodomite'
- 4 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 5 Grayson Perry: London needs affordable housing because 'rich people don't create culture'
£25k + commission + benefits: Savvy Media Ltd: Find a job you love and never h...
Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: CORPORATE - Corporate Solicitor NQ+ An excelle...
Voluntary Only - Expenses Reimbursed: Reach Volunteering: A trustee (company d...
£45000 - £65000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity...