Rodin statue stolen from Israel Museum
Thursday 10 March 2011
A statue by the French sculptor Auguste Rodin has been stolen from the Israel Museum during renovations, the museum said yesterday.
The nude bronze of the French novelist Honoré de Balzac was one of a series of four studies that Rodin cast for a monument to Balzac on display in Paris. It was donated to the museum in Jerusalem in 1966 by the Jewish-American impresario and lyricist Billy Rose.
The museum said the theft was discovered three months ago and reported to police, who are investigating. The work was moulded in 1892 and weighs 140lb.
Hilary Swank: Million Dollar Baby star says she turns down roles to care for elderly father
Autistic teenager beaten up by bullies makes them watch 20-minute video about autism
The Greece debt crisis explained in less than 100 words
Eiji Tsuburaya's 114th birthday: Monster movie pioneer honoured in interactive Google Doodle
Bakery sends 'horrific' version of Frozen-themed birthday cake to unsuspecting customer
- 1 Autistic teenager beaten up by bullies makes them watch 20-minute video about autism
- 2 Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
- 3 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 4 Chris Moyles reportedly set to make radio comeback with new breakfast show on XFM
- 5 The Greece debt crisis explained in less than 100 words
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: A Sales Manager required for a busy company in...
£8 per hour: Recruitment Genius: This leading security company requires a prof...
£15000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A sales person is required to join a lea...
£7 - £8 per hour: Recruitment Genius: This leading security company requires a...