Saudi woman who defied driving ban involved in fatal car crash
A Saudi woman who defied a ban on female drivers in the country has been severely injured and her passenger killed in a car crash.
The woman was killed when the four-wheel-drive vehicle she was travelling in overturned in the northern Hael province on Saturday. "One woman was immediately killed and her companion who was driving the car was hospitalised after she suffered several injuries," said police spokesman Abdul Aziz Al Zunaidi.
In November 2010, a Saudi woman who defied the driving ban was killed along with three of her 10 female passengers when her vehicle overturned in a crash.
Saudi Arabia is the only country in the world where women are not allowed to drive. A high-profile internet campaign was launched last year that urged women to defy the ban.
The icon of the campaign, Manal al- Sharif, a 32-year-old computer security consultant, was arrested and detained for 10 days after posting on YouTube a video of herself driving her car around the eastern city of Khobar.
As well as a ban on driving, Saudi Arabia are also obliged to wear a veil in public, and cannot travel unless accompanied by their husband or close male relative.
King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia declared last year that women would have the right to vote and run in national elections in 2015. Just two days after the announcement, a woman was sentenced to 10 lashes for driving in public. After public pressure, the sentence was overturned.
- 1 To those who can’t see the point of International Women’s Day: you are the very reason it exists
- 2 International Women's Day 2014: The shocking statistics that show why it is still so important
- 3 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 4 Orgasm machine to deliver climax at the push of a button
- 5 Liam Neeson turned down James Bond role because late wife Natasha Richardson said she wouldn't marry him if he took it
£12000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: A small but growing chain of boutique hot...
£12000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: The company works with Tier 1 FTSE 100 Ba...
£45 - 60k Per Annum: Charter Selection: Highly profitable leisure brand, marke...
£30000 - £50000 per annum + Highly Competitive Salary: Austen Lloyd: Residenti...