Suicide bomber kills at least six in northern Iraq
Sunday 20 October 2013
A suicide bomber blew himself up near the house of a senior policeman on Sunday, killing at least six of the officer's relatives in the northern Iraqi city of Samarra, police said.
No group immediately claimed responsibility for the attack, but Sunni Muslim insurgents, including al Qaeda, have regularly targeted security personnel and others working for the Shi'ite-led government.
The attacker drove up to a group of people who had gathered at the scene of an earlier, smaller explosion close to the house of senior officer Nasser Dawood, police said.
Dawood was out when the bomber set off his explosive, but most of those killed and wounded in the blast were members of his family, the force said.
Al Qaeda's Iraqi affiliate was forced underground in 2007 but has since regrouped, invigorated by the war in Syria and growing resentment of the government that came to power after the U.S.-led invasion in 2003.
The militants have accused the government of marginalising their minority sect since the overthrow of Sunni strongman Saddam Hussein.
Three military helicopters have been downed in recent weeks by militants in the surrounding Salahuddin province.
Kensington flat branded ‘uninhabitable’ by estate agent on sale for a bargain £600,000
Miley Cyrus' homeless MTV VMAs date, Jesse Helt, is wanted by the police
Arizona shooting: Gun instructor accidentally killed by nine-year-old girl with Uzi
Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
Enormous wasps' nest covering bed found in woman's spare room
- 1 Arizona shooting: Gun instructor accidentally killed by nine-year-old girl with Uzi
- 2 Miley Cyrus' homeless MTV VMAs date, Jesse Helt, is wanted by the police
- 3 Paul Scholes: Manchester City were so good against Liverpool I felt like turning the television off
- 4 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 5 Pamela Anderson rejects ice bucket challenge because of ALS experiments on animals: 'Mice had holes drilled into their skulls'
- < Previous
- Next >
£45000 - £60000 Per Annum + benefits: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Scrum M...
£25000 - £35000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: Job Title: Junior As...
£33000 - £40000 Per Annum Discretionary profit share: The Green Recruitment Co...
£20000 - £30000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: Job Title: Project C...