Syrian football player killed after mortars hit stadium
Wednesday 20 February 2013
Syria's state-run news agency says two mortars have exploded inside a soccer stadium in central Damascus, killing one player and injuring several.
The SANA agency said the mortars landed today in the Tishrin Stadium in the central Baramkeh district during soccer practice.
It says one player from the Homs-based al-Wathbah club was killed. The Britain-based activist group Syrian Observatory for Human Rights also reported one player was killed.
The mortar attack was the second in as many days in the capital. On Tuesday, two mortars exploded near one of President Bashar Assad's palaces, causing material damage only.
The attack was the first confirmed strike close to a presidential palace and another sign that the civil war is seeping into areas of the capital once considered safe.
Miley Cyrus' homeless MTV VMAs date, Jesse Helt, is wanted by the police
Arizona shooting: Gun instructor accidentally killed by nine-year-old girl with Uzi
Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
Scottish teenager dies after suspected ice bucket challenge goes horribly wrong
- 1 Miley Cyrus' homeless MTV VMAs date, Jesse Helt, is wanted by the police
- 2 Arizona shooting: Gun instructor accidentally killed by nine-year-old girl with Uzi
- 3 Paul Scholes: Manchester City were so good against Liverpool I felt like turning the television off
- 4 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 5 Homer Simpson takes the ALS ice bucket challenge because of course he does
- < Previous
- Next >
£20000 - £24000 Per Annum 28 days holiday, free parking, pension: Clearwater P...
£38000 - £40000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Our client based i...
£115 - £140 per day: Randstad Education Luton: Primary supply teacher Hertford...
£115 - £121 per day: Randstad Education Luton: primary teacher Hertfordshire